Search This Blog

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Still cooking with Pomegranates

spinach salad with quinoa, feta, almonds, and pomegranate seeds

I can't seem to stop buying pomegranates.  Aren't they beautiful?  Last week, I made several batches of pomegranate molasses (a common ingredient in dishes from the middle east, but difficult to find here in Fort Wayne) and it turned out pretty good.  Today, I used the pomegranate molasses to make a tangy dressing for this spinach salad.  I also added a few tablespoons to a spread I made using eggplant.

eggplant dip with cilantro and pomegranate seeds

Have you ever eaten pomegranate seeds?  Some people do not like the crunch of the seed and are annoyed by their very presence in a dish.  They can be a bit of a surprise.  But the sweet, juicy burst of flavor from the surrounding flesh is worth the annoyance!  My daughter shared a funny story with me today.  She said her housemate recently told her about a friend who can't stand to eat pomegranate seeds because of all the work involved in removing the tiny seed from the ruby-red jewels.  Can you imagine trying to eat the juicy red part while leaving the itsy bitsy seed behind?

I think the salad looks very Christmas-y, with the bright green spinach leaves, the glistening red pomegranate seeds, and the snow white feta.  I also tossed in some black quinoa, toasted almond slices, and slivered red onions.

Here's how I made my dressing;

Ingredients:
2 T pomegranate molasses
1 T fresh squeezed lemon juice
6 T extra virgin olive oil
1 t madras curry powder

Method
Measure all ingredients into a small jar.  Put the lid on and shake it up!




MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment