Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Supper in under an hour.....




When I don't have a lot of time to cook or don't feel like spending a lot of time in the kitchen, I have a collection of quicky stand-by favorites that I turn to again and again.  One of the things my entire family loves is salmon cooked almost any way, but especially teriyaki.  I've experimented with lots of different teriyaki glazes.  I like a thick glaze and have found the best way to do this is to heat the glaze up with a cornstarch slurry. 

Tonight I made supper in under an hour, start to finish, and that includes dessert.  However, if there is a more messy, more unorganized cook anywhere on the planet, I would like to meet him or her! 

It doesn't matter how hard I try: my kitchen turns into a complete disaster when I cook.  Things happen to me.  Like, my clothes get caught on something and when I turn to disentangle myself, I knock something off the counter.  I spill things on the floor.  I cut myself on the lids of tin cans.  I drop eggs into the wrong bowl.  And I generate SO MUCH garbage!

But I always get the kitchen cleaned up before eating.  That way, I can enjoy my meal without the pressure of knowing I have a huge mess waiting for me.

Tonight, I made teriyaki salmon cooked under the broiler.  To go along with it, I made a barley salad filled with veggies and tossed in a sesame/soy dressing.  And I made a salad of thinly sliced daikon and cucumber in a sweet/sour marinade.  The cucumber salad was delicious and went really well with the salmon!

The barley took 45 minute to cook and while it cooked, I chopped the veggies and made the dressing.  I did this early in the day so the barley would have time to cool.  Just before dinner, I sliced the cucumber and daikon, made a quick marinade with rice vinegar, sugar, and a little salt, tossed it together and stuck it in the fridge while I made the salmon. 

For the salmon, I made a standard teriyaki glaze, dipped the salmon in the glaze and stuck it under the broiler for about 10 minutes.  While it was cooking, I tossed the barley salad together.

For dessert, I made a banana cream pie.  (Yes, that's right.  A dessert that does NOT involve coconut!) Years ago I sold Pampered Chef and this is a recipe I remember from my days as a Pampered Chef consultant.  It goes like this:

Mix together
   3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
   2 T sugar
   1/2 cup melted butter

Press into the bottom of a nine-inch pie pan or spring-form pan

Mix together
   12 oz Cool Whip
   1 cup sour cream
   1 package instant vanilla pudding

Spread half of this mixture over the graham cracker crust and top with
   3 sliced bananas

Cover with the remaining Cool Whip mixture.
Sprinkle with chopped pecans.

This pie sets up quickly.  It doesn't need more than 30 minutes in the refrigerator!  So YUMMY!!!


2 comments:

  1. Those dishes look very delicious. I must try Teriyaki Salmon, looks tasty. Cucumber salad definitely goes well with Salmon.

    Yummy at that pie picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Savino, if you haven't tried making Teriyaki Salmon, you must. It's so quick and easy!! If you need a good teriyaki recipe, let me know. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete