Search This Blog

Thursday, April 29, 2010

My favorite breakfast



I ate a lot of interesting and wonderful food the year I lived in Hyderabad, India.  One of my favorites was a simple breakfast of chapatis with banana cream.   In the 30 plus years since my India experience, I've tried many times to make chapatis.  They always turn out o.k. but nowhere near as flaky and delicious as the ones I used to eat in India. 

Fortunately, there are many frozen products available that to my taste are every bit as good as the breads I used to eat in India.  These products can be found in Indian and Asian grocery stores (and even George's on Broadway).  My favorite is the roti made by Kawan and can be found in the freezer section at Saigon on Calhoun Street.


These cook up quickly and effortlessly!  They are so thin and inconsequential looking when you first take them out of the bag, you may think they aren't going to be very good.  But they cook up thick and flaky and absolutely delicious! 

To cook, you just throw a frozen disc into a pre-heated pan and cook until golden and puffed.


To make the banana cream, mash a rip banana onto a plate, sprinkle with a little sugar and drizzle a little cream or half and half.  Mash and mix.


That's it!  This is eaten without silverware.  To eat it, you tear off a piece of bread and use it to scoop up some banana cream.  Try it, and unless you have an aversion to bananas, you are going to LOVE it!

No comments:

Post a Comment